You will get practical experience in the SMP/E tasks involved in installing a z/OS product. Emphasis is on interpreting results of SMP/E processing. SMP/E concepts examined in this course include modification control statements, the consolidated software inventory, zone structure, and error analysis. SMP/E commands such as RECEIVE, APPLY, ACCEPT, RESTORE, REPORT, and LIST are discussed.
You will also learn how to perform automated SMP/E delivery of z/OS and product maintenance over the Internet with an automated SMP/E process that downloads and installs IBM preventive and corrective service over the Internet.
- Describe how SMP/E is used as a tool for system maintenance
- Interpret modification control statements in a sample SYSMOD
- Create a consolidated software inventory database to support installation and maintenance requirements
- Use the SMP/E dialogs to install a product and its related service
- Manage exception SYSMOD data
- Describe the use of the primary and secondary data sets required by SMP/E
- Analyze output from SMP/E processing and resolve commonly encountered problems
- Describe the use of the REPORT command to determine software dependencies between zones
- Use the BUILDMCS process to create a function SYSMOD from an installed product and its service
- Use the new SMP/E functions to install software service automatically over the Internet
- Implement support for communication server FTP client
- Use the new RECEIVE ORDER command to order and install z/OS maintenance automatically over the Internet